The registration fees for SAT or ACT tests can be pretty expensive. Luckily for students in some states, they offer fee waivers for SAT or ACT tests, where students don’t have to pay the registration fee.
Here is the total of 18 states that offers an ACT or SAT test without having to pay the registration fee.
States that Offer SAT for Free
If you live in one of these states then you may be able to take the SAT test for free, and you must take the test on the statewide testing date.
- New York
- New Hampshire
- Colorado – SAT test is only offered free for juniors in public schools.
- District of Columbia – The SAT is not required but is offered free to all who live in the state who wish to take the SAT.
- Maine – SAT used to be mandatory but it is optional now. Offered free for all.
- Rhode Island – SAT is not required but offered free in school for juniors who wish to take it.
- Arizona, Minnesota, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, and Maryland – A few districts or schools can administer the SAT test to their students.
States that Offer ACT for Free
If you live in one of these states then you may be able to take the ACT test for free.
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
What if My State Doesn’t Offer the Test for Free?
If your state doesn’t offer SAT/ACT test for free then there is one option you could try: apply for a fee waiver. If you are eligible both tests offer up to two fee waivers for the test where you could take either of the test without paying the registration fee.
To see if you are eligible and get the fee waiver you might have to work with your school counselor.
Conclusion – States That Offer Free SAT/ACT Test
There are 18 states in the United States that offer Free SAT/ACT test. If you live in one of those states then you may be able to take either of SAT or ACT test for free. Otherwise, you could apply for a fee waiver to take the registration fee off.